Saturday, December 31, 2011

My pizza crust recipe!

Nearly 100 years ago my family (my mom's side, the Cekola's, Cecola at that time) opened the first pizza restaurant in Kalamazoo Mi. So - pizza is in my blood.

My mom taught me at around 5 years old how to work the dough. I'd complain that my arms ached from the '1,2,3 and turn and 1,2,3 and turn.....' kneading rhythm and she'd tell me something about being a good Italian girl. The dough would get to a perfect smooth consistency every time.

Fast forward some years later (17 to be exact) I'd been living on my own for a few years and the idea popped into my head, 'I'll make pizza.....' and so I tried. And so I failed, I mean epic failure. The crust was bland, the crumb was to large, the texture dense and awkward.

I called my mom and we worked out the process (I'd sped it up thinking I could cut corners, bad girl!)

So over the years, I've got it perfect. So perfect that our family prefers a homemade pizza making buffet for our Christmas meals!

Give it a try!!

*photo note - the batch I made for the photo's is a 1/4 batch! - your dough will be substantially larger!*

Josie's pizza crust

Ingredients

2 cups warm water (110-114 degrees)
2 1/2 tbs white sugar
2 tbs active dry yeast
3 tbs olive oil - I really love using a garlic infused EVOO
2 tsp sea-salt (table salt will work!)
5 cups all-purpose flour, or finely ground whole wheat flour.

*you can add a tbs of garlic powder and a tbs of basil to give this a little change up.

In a bowl large enough to hold 3 cups place your yeast and sugar (the sugar is food for the yeast) pour the heated water over the yeast, give it a good stir. All and all it needs to sit for at least 12 minutes, let's get started on the rest.

In a large mixing bowl put your flour and salt. Grab a whisk and stir about 15 rounds.

*this can be done in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook - but my mom insisted you don't deserve to use a mixer until you have mastered it by hand - I'm inclined to agree :-)

Ok, so make a small well into your flour, pour in your yeast mixture.*PHOTO* *if you check the photo's you'll notice the bubbling action of the sugar yeast water mixture.

Slowly with your hand, start making circular sweeps of the bowl until it's all incorporated.*PHOTO* You hands are going to be sticky! *PHOTO*. Keep moving your dough around the bowl till nearly all of bits are incorporated into the dough *PHOTO*

Time to turn your dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Resist the urge to pick the dough off your hands - it will get into the ball while your kneading.

Your going to use your hands to knead the dough in a repetitive motion *PHOTO* three pushes in one direction, turn 90 degrees, so on and do fourth for about 8 minutes.

Place your dough in a large mixing bowl that you've wiped down with EVOO (prevents the sides from sticking). Cover with a damp tea towel, Let your dough rise for an hour until it doubles in size. Separate the dough into two equal parts.

Toss (or stretch) your dough out onto your pizza stone or pizza tin (I like to use both, stone for thin crust or Sicilian, pizza pan for regular crust). Let it sit for about 15 minutes.

Dress your pizza as you like....ideas in another post this was just the crust!

Bake at 500F average 12-14 minutes - every oven is different, so watch your pizza!!

If you have any questions, just comment!

Cheers!!


No comments:

Post a Comment