Monday, January 2, 2012

Desperation Cooking

So every now and then I start to feel like our household menu is bland and boring. So I set forth on creative food journey.

I start by resisting the urge to run to our local grocery store and pick up the standard eats. Instead I make myself scan the cupboards!

Yesterday was a desperation cooking day. My favorite recipe was.......drumroll please.......

Dill garlic tuna cakes with a greek style dill and horseradish sauce
(don't turn your nose up, these are awesome and could easily be done with salmon or shredded chicken!

You'll need two packets of tuna (the ones in the envelopes)
1 egg
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1 tbs dill
1 tbs chives
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tbs mayonnaise
3 oz sharp cheddar (I use Cabot seriously sharp) shredded.
Salt & pepper to taste

You'll need enough oil to make 1/8 inch in your frying pan.

Ok, take your egg, spices and mayo - whisk in a bowl. Add 1/3 cup of your bread crumbs, cheese and your tuna, mix together until it's formable. Form into 6 patties.

Take the remainder of your bread crumbs on a plate. Coat each patty in crumbs, discard the rest.

Pop these in the fridge (covered) while we prep the sauce.

SAUCE
1/4 cup Greek yogurt (plain)
1tbs horseradish root or sauce (using the creamier sauce version will produce a milder sauce)
1tbs dill
1tsp garlic powder
Get this part - 1tbs dill pickle brine!

Whisk it together, pop it in the fridge.

Ok onto cooking our cakes.

Heat your oil. About 3 minutes for my stove. Easy test, flick a drop of water into it - A DROP!!) if it pop's it's ready!

Place your patties in, about a minute on each side, just a little past golden.

Sauce on top - so good!!!


Even my four year old twins loved these!!

*please note the photo - these were do good I forgot to take a photo before we started eating - so they are on my plate :-)

**you can omit the horseradish in the sauce, it still tasted amazing!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment